Keep your Gutters Great
Autumn is right around the corner and that means getting your house and yard ready for all the falling leaves that will soon be bombarding your home. It’s important to always have clean gunkfree gutters but it’s especially important to ensure you get a head start to the season by cleaning out your house’s gutter system properly.
Why is it so important to have clean gutters?
- GO WITH THE FLOW – Clean gutters constantly direct leaves water and other trash away from the roof of your home
- H20 MY GOSH – Clean gutters constantly keep rain water flowing off your roof and prevents what is known as “Ponding” (pools of water forming on your roof or in your ceiling due to improper drainage)
- ALL ABOUT EAVES - Clogged gutters quickly leave a house looking messy on the outside, and drastically lowers the visual appeal of your home from the street
- DON’T LET IT BUG YOU – Clogged gutters are a perfect breeding ground for rodents, mosquitoes, mold and many other malignant creatures
Are you DIYing it?
Sometimes it’s just easier to DIY. Especially when you can find everything you need in one place. You can find all the following items you’ll need for your gutter cleaning duty at BUCO:
- Narrow Trowel (To scrape out the leaves and silt)
- Plastic Garbage Bag (To stash all the mess in)
- Stiff Brush (To scrape off any excess silt after washing out with a hose)
- Safety Goggles (To protect your eyes from dirty falling debris)
- Garden Hose with High Pressure Attachment (To spray out the majority of the gunk)
- Heavy-Duty Work Gloves (To protect your hands from sharp edges and other hazards)
- Long Hook or Extension Ladder (To reach the gutter safely)
Some great gutter DO’s & DON’T’s
KEEP YOUR GUTTERS LOOKING GREAT WITH A GUTTER GUARD
We’ve mentioned gutter guards can help with the potential hazards of blockage, but what do you need to look for in a quality gutter guard, if you don’t already have one? Know your guards. Options (from least to most effective) range from:
- Plastic or wire mesh
- Brush-tails (which fit inside the gutter and roll off any excess debris)
- Foam guards (pre-cut pieces of foam that soak up excess water and allow debris to roll off the gutter)
DIY Gutter Guards:
Even better, make your own gutter guard! DIY means you can custom-make a gutter guard that perfectly fits your house and your budget.
- Take a notepad and write down all the measurements of your gutters (length and width).
- Next, add about 5cm on both length and width measurements to get a final measurement figure. (Gutters should generally be the same width all along the same system.)
- Measure out lengths of mesh wire and cut them into 30 – 60cm pieces and add up to total your gutter’s measurements.
- Roll the mesh wire in a half circle and slot into the gutter securely.
DIY Gutter Blaster:
Don’t break your back when blowing out the gunk from your gutters, simply get to your nearest BUCO and make an easy attachment for your leaf blower by getting the following items:
- 1 x PVC Pipe (40mm) of about 300cm in length
- 2 x PVC 90º Elbow Bend (40mm)
- PVC cement
- Duct Tape
- Cut two 15cm lengths of PVC pipe off the long pipe
- Dry-fit these two pieces into the 90º Elbow Bends to make sure they fit, then cement them so they stay put
- Attach the one 90º Elbow Bend to the long PVC pipe
- Duct tape the other end of the pipe to your leaf blower’s pipe so no air can escape any other place except the top end
- Place the short end of the pipe in the gutter and turn on the leaf blower for a direct stream into those hard-to-reach places
As always, if you are unsure about any step of this process or about which gutter or gutter guard is the best fit for your home, you can ask one of our friendly in-store experts at BUCO to assist you. With a wide range of roof and roof drainage products as well as expert advice, we’ll make sure that your gutter maintenance or installation isn’t a draining process.