Practical Vanity Storage
EASY DIY MAKE-UP & JEWELLERY TRAY | ( 90 Second read )
Clutter can make any nightstand seem nightmarish, or make any dressing table look daunting. To fix this, we’re going to show you a quick way to create your own stylish storage units for your beauty and other loose items. Simply pop into your nearest BUCO to get this following list of items.
You will need the following:
1. Pine Panel (300 x 450mm)
2. 5 x smaller extra pine panels
4. PVC Pipe (40mm)
5. Paint & Brushes
6. Wood Glue
7. Cordless drill & bits (8mm wood bits)
8. 40mm drill attachment bit
10. Measuring tape
11. Panel Pins
12. Sandpaper (100 grit)
13. Spray paint
14. Mitre kit
Watch this short video as Misi takes us through the project, or follow the step by step guide below.
STEP 1 – PREP THE BOX & BASE:
1. The size of the box will depend on the counter space you have to work with. For this project we are working with a base panel of 300 x 450mm.
2. Glue four of the smaller panels together to form a box. Set it aside to dry.
3. Mark the centre point of the remaining small panel and drill two 40mm holes in it.
STEP 2 – PREP THE PIPES:
1. Sand down the inside of the two 40mm holes in the panel so they are smooth.
2. Place your PVC pipe in the mitre saw and cut according to the required lengths. Consider how long your makeup brushes etc. are and cut in various lengths.
3. Sand down the edges of the sawn-off PVC pipe to smooth them out.
STEP 3 – BEAD BY BEAD:
1. Cut the beading into 100mm and 150mm sections.
2. Paste 2 x 100mm and 2 x 150mm pieces together on the base panel in the shape of two small frames. Paste them close to the opposite corners of the base.
3. Fasten the beading to the panel with panel pins.
STEP 4 – SPRAY & SET:
1. Spray the PVC pipes and leave to dry.
2. Paint the base panel a contrasting colour to create a stylish effect.
3. Apply glue to the bottom of the box and the 2-hole panel and attach them to the two opposite corners on the base panel so that each corner now has something in it.
STEP 5 – LAST STEPS:
1. Fasten the box and panel to the base by flipping the board over and inserting some wood screws below where the panel and box is.
2. Apply glue to the inside of the 40mm holes in the panel, and insert the PVC pipes. Leave to dry.
And voilà! A few simple screws, a quick spray and you have instant storage solution for all your makeup and jewellery. Visit your nearest BUCO to find all the DIY project items you need to do more with your home.